Guelph Transit will be operating buses on Canada Day on the statutory holiday hourly schedule. Buses will depart from Guelph Central Station and the University Centre every 60 minutes, from 9:15 a.m. to 8:15 p.m. and 11:15 p.m. to 12:15 a.m.
A direct Fireworks Shuttle Service will operate between Guelph Central Station and Riverside Park at 8:45 p.m. and 9:15 p.m and after the Fireworks from 10:00pm until 11:00p.m.
Regular Guelph Transit fare structure applies to the shuttle service. A Day pass is also available.
How to get to Riverside Park during the day
For those who wish to go to Riverside Park during the day Bus Routes will be running every 60 minutes not every 30 minutes as in years past. This is due to City Council reducing the budget for Holiday transit services.
From past Canada Day experience, both the 2A/B and the 3A/B routes will be at full capacity from front to back. To help riders avoid the crowds due to the reduced frequency, here are some alternatives and tips.
If your are traveling from downtown, take the 2B or the 3A at the following times:
- 2B West Loop Counter Clockwise from Platform 14 will run every hour on the :15’s from 9:15a.m. until 8:15p.m. Exit at 3 bus stops – Speedvale & Woolwich, Evergreen Senior Centre or Marilyn Drive and a short walk into the park. Travel time from downtown is approx. 6 minutes, however, expect heavy volumes and a longer commute time.
- 3A East Loop Clockwise from Platform 5 will run every hour on the :45’s from 9:45am until 7:45p.m. Exit at 2 bus stops – 21 Woodlawn Rd. E. and Woodlawn across from Senior Residence. Both stops at at the North Entrance of Riverside Park. Trip time is approx. 15 minutes from downtown.
The 8:45p.m. trip will be a direct trip to Riverside Park.
- Alternative is 12 Guelph General from Platform 19, which will run every hour on the :45’s from 9:45a.m until 7:45p.m. Drop off at the corner of Metcalfe St. at Waverley Dr. and take a short 10 minute walk to Riverside Park. Travel time from Downtown is 15 minutes.
You can also avoid downtown by taking the 2A West Loop Clockwise or the 3B East Loop Counter CLockwise which loop around the city. These routes also stop across from Riverside Park. Click on the links above for route times and where to catch the bus.
Shuttle Service before the Fireworks:
- From Guelph Central Station to Riverside Park. Shuttles will depart from platforms 5 and 20, leaving at 8:45 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Passengers will be dropped off as close to Riverside Park as possible, as road closures may prevent the buses from travelling on Woolwich Street past Speedvale Avenue.
After the Fireworks:
- From Riverside Park to downtown. Shuttle buses will be available from the Woodlawn Road entrance to Riverside Park leaving from approximately 10 p.m. until 11 p.m. Five shuttle buses will also be parked on Woolwich Street at Speedvale Avenue, available on a first-come-first-service basis.
- Regular routes will start to run again from 11:15p.m. until 12:15a.m.
More details can be found on Guelph Transit Canada Day Service Page here.